[Ponte Alto] Recruitment

thrid at aol.com thrid at aol.com
Fri May 4 12:51:53 PDT 2007

  Greetings all,

 From reading many of these e-mails concerning Ponte Alto's level and quality of recruitment, I would have believed the barony was disarray. That Ponte Alto was losing its members and failing to recruit new people, that its officers were not doing their duty. Luckily I know this is not the case at all. In the last 5 years the Barony has grown by almost 60 people. 5 years ago the baronial polling had less than 150 people. Through the hard work of its officers, the current Baron and Baroness, and the baronial members at large, the barony has increased its membership significantly. By last count the Barony has 205 members. Over the last 5 years the Barony has grown by approximately 40%. At the heavy fighting practice, we have grown from 2 to 3 fighters at a practice to regularly having 10 fighters and periodically having more than 20 fighters. The numbers who fight at Pennsic under the Ponte Alto's banner have grown from 2-3 to 25+. We have a rapier practice which is the envy of the kingdom and our archery has begun to grow and is becoming very competitive. The barony's members excel in the arts, the sciences, and in its service to the kingdom. The increase in our barony’s size and its activity level far exceeds the kingdom and the Society as a whole. For a barony this size, the increase it has experienced in the past 5 years is something for the whole Barony to be proud of.

 I have provided the above facts to help put Ponte Alto's "problems" in some perspective. This is not to say there are no problems or room for improvements. Clearly opportunities at recruiting new members have been missed. And clearly SCA members who have transferred into the barony have not always experienced as organized a welcome as our barony would have liked. Recruitment is the group's life blood and based on the comments I have read, there are clearly elements of our current system that need to be fixed or at least improved so we can become an even better more welcoming barony.

 I still feel it is important for all the readers of Ponte Alto's e-mail list to understand where we were and how far we have come. This barony is far from perfect, but I believe it has tried its best to be as welcoming to its new and potential new members as any group with which I have been associated. I would encourage anyone who is on this e-mail list, but has not been active with the barony, to seek its members out at one of our regular activities listed on our web site, or at our monthly business meetings, or best of all, at our monthly newcomers meetings.

  Thomas of Calais