[Ponte Alto] Assessments Thank you from Sir Guy

Kevin Maxson Kevin at Maxson.com
Wed Jul 11 13:37:55 PDT 2007

On 7/11/07, guylestran at aol.com <guylestran at aol.com> wrote:
> Assessments used to be one of those "Must Attend"
> events for the fighters.  What can we do to try and get more folks there
> next year?  Does the date need to be rescheduled or is it "I feel no real
> connection to the King/Kingdom", so when he calls for an event, it is no big
> deal?  Is it simply I did not know (we have a lot of new folks around).

Perhaps it's the way it's run.

I remember some years ago, Duke Cuan had us all run laps and do
calisthenics in armor before we even fought.  That seemed pretty
ridiculous.  I remember many years when the main focus of the event
was to stand around in armor while the commanders waxed poetic on "how
things should be done".  (I've rarely missed an Assessment event.)

Last year was particularly poorly attended, which is a shame because
the format changed a bit.  We had our melees, but we also separated
for weapon-specific training.  That's a much more valuable use of
time.  This year was the same, but Sir Sinclair was even more
thoughtful - he gave us a long break during the heat of the day, and
kept us in the shade as much as was possible.  I fought to the last
scenario without any heat issues.  (We won't talk about fatigue
issues.)

So it's an expectation of the event, and what one actually finds.  Of
course, if you don't show up, you don't see it improving.

As to the other reasons, I have little patience for "I feel no
connection to the king/kingdom".  But that's likely the peer in me
talking.
--
+ Kevin of Thornbury, OP