[Ponte Alto] Recruitment: Making it work

guylestran at aol.com guylestran at aol.com
Sat Apr 28 14:16:18 PDT 2007

I have never been a slow and steady wins the race sort of guy.  The Barony has alot of people and resourses to help people we bring in through the big flashy demos (which I don't think we do) as well as those who seek us out.  We have Mary, Red and Jurgen helping out with armor and new folks.  At practice we usually have Mary, Cosmo and Sir Styker directly helping, and I've seen Jurgen organizing some little Melee drills.  We have the monthly new comer meetings, which I don't attend, with a wife who is not into the SCA all that much my activites have been cut down a bit so you will not see me at a new comers meeting in the future.  I am always open at Practice and make a piont to approach any new comers I see though and give them a fighting disk.  I'll make time where I can for new folks but it will be at practices, events, demos or if they want to do anything one on one.  I know this is bad, but it where my life is right now.  If seems most of our Knights in the Barony are i
 n the same sort of place, if for different reasons, execpt for Sir Thomas who is the best recruiting tool we have most times.

I don't know about big demo's.  I do think we need to target our audiance.  Con's of any sort should be our focus if possible.  Gamers, Comic book readers those sort of folks.  Finding a way to make it fun for us as well as the people we are doing it for might help also,  I suppose I am aiming at a mini event sort of thing where we stay and eat together and that sort of thing.  While Blood Bath did not yield any great results I still would have gone through the efforts of doing it again.  That is just the sort I am.  Just one new person would have been a success.  Though in the case of Blood Bath, people were just coming out to spend a day with their families.

I don't mind getting 100 people in a year and then loosing them.  That is still 100 more people the we had before, and if just 15 of them are fighters that really swells the ranks of our Pontoons,  which is all I am really after right now.  Well that and trying to make sure the fighters have a sense of being tied into the big picture and how we serve our Crowns and Kingdom on the fighting field.

I will write more later,  I am running late.

Sir Guy

"Knighthood Is Only The Beginning."

"Knighthood Is Only The Beginning."