[Ponte Alto] Coin Dies

cjhalstead at verizon.net cjhalstead at verizon.net
Thu Nov 9 09:43:30 PST 2006

Anne of Carthew is having problems getting this out of her mail system, so she asked me to forward it on.

Caitlyn

wow....THAT is making me think back. (ouch)

I think coins might have been made as part of the "loot" to be collected in the "war of the roses" events.   I'm reasonably sure that the dies were purchased for the first War of the Roses. The tournament was a ransom tourney, and there were to be coins distributed for use in ransoming. (The "family" with the most loot at the end of the event "won.") Alas, the dies arrived really late - and while there was great effort to make enough coins for the tournament, there was also a realization that enough would not be made in time. (There was a bit of place-pound-check-swear place-pound-check-swear going on in our garage for a night or so.) There was also a realization that it made for an expensive tourney.  In the long-run we provided a few coins, but also provided gold-nuggets to assist in the ransom loot - stones, spray-painted gold. ;)

I think those events (3 of them) were in autumn of '93, '94, and '95. (But I might be wrong.) And those were during Niall and Teleri's time as Baron and Baroness. I think the dies were, at least for a while, part of the baronial stuff in our garage, back before we got a storage unit.

Anne.

Commentary from Caitlyn -

This jibes with my recollection, and would fit the timeline.  I couldn't come up with a particular event, but since I wasn't able to be at the first Roses event that's probably why.