[Ponte Alto] RIP: Col. Thomas B. Smith, Father of Our Bambi

Sharon Henderson revsharonhenderson at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 19 18:24:24 PDT 2006

Gentle cousins,

I beg pardon for the interruption, but a beloved local SCAdian needs your prayers and assistance.

This coming Saturday, July 22, at 11 AM at St. Anne's Episcopal Church in Reston, VA, there will be a memorial service for Col. Thomas B. Smith, a veteran of the famed Tuskeegee Airmen.  He was the father of Bambi Smith Nieto, who is well-known and loved in both the Baronies to whom this message comes--and probably well beyond our borders as well.  Col. Smith passed away early Saturday afternoon, July 15, 2006.  There will be a visiting hour before the service, but I do not know for certain if it is at the church or elsewhere.  For info, please either call St. Anne's and ask, or contact Bambi directly:

bambispage2002 at yahoo.com

The colonel's ashes will be inurned at the new Columbarium in Arlington National Cemetery on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 11 AM, with full military honours as befits one whose career was so distinguished.

Now then.

Life goes on... and things are ticking over at a fast pace for Bambi.  She really needs some help.  Her father's home in Reston will be vacated and placed on the market rather quickly, and the executors want everything out of there by the end of this month.  Next weekend, July 28-30, Bambi really could use the assistance of any big strapping strong folks who might be able to spare some time; if anyone wants to help out, please contact her at the above e-mail address.

There is a very large, unwieldy china cabinet, some beds, some dishes, lots and lots of books, some tables, and general "stuff" that will need to be removed from the house and taken to storage; Bambi cannot manage on her own, and on her behalf I am asking for help.

If anyone has a rather large truck, or could help her secure a u-haul type truck (not a trailer), that would be great too.

So of your charity, prayers for the soul of a great, grand, stubborn and wonderful man, a patriot and pioneer; for his family; and especially for Bambi as she deals with the aftermath.  And of your compassion, if you can help out with the move, any assistance you could render will be gratefully accepted.  Please contact Bambi and let her know.

in service and sorrow,
Meli

Rev. Sharon A. H. Henderson, OSM
Pastor, Church of St. Brigid of the Gaels
Director, The Celtic Christian Centre
P.O. Box 478
Fairfax, VA 22038