[Ponte Alto] Re: Ravenwood Elementary Demo

Charlotte Johnson mathilde at mathildegirlgenius.com
Tue May 3 18:36:25 PDT 2005

> I hesitate to add anything since I know very little
> about this, but since this discussion has been going
> on for several days, should somebody check with the
> police department to see if a county ordinance would
> be violated between  "showing" a sword and
> "demonstrating" a sword?  Arlington County prohibits
> the release of projectiles (i.e., arrows) in county
> parks and on private property within x-hundred yards
> of a private home, for example.

To clarify, it's not actually a sword, it is wood somewhat shaped like a sword,
called a waster. A waster like this would have been used in period as a
training sword, in the 14th and 15th century.

See image:
http://www.woodenswords.com/WMA/images/L7full.jpg

It is not sharp, any more than a rattan sword is sharp.

I'm glad you asked - there does seem to be some confusion regarding this point.

Cheers,
Mathilde