[Ponte Alto] Demos...

Charlotte Johnson mathilde at mathildegirlgenius.com
Mon May 2 10:16:14 PDT 2005

> I'm not so sure about this one.  If we can demonstrate that
> SCA combat is similar enough to fighting a period
> tournament with 'weapons of peace' and counted blows then I
> think it's appropriate to the classroom.
>
> And I'm clinging to my SCA tournament combat being a
> recreation of passage of arms in period!  And I'm sticking
> to it!  :-D

If you like... ;-D

I'm basing my comments off of numerous discussions that I've witnessed, by SCA
fighters and others that *in general*, SCA combat is a sport, and not a
recreation of a medieval activity, though there are certainly exceptions to
this rule. I know that there are fighters who stick solely to documented
techniques in their fighting.

If what you say is true though, and I understand there's some debate on this
topic so I will leave it open :-), then at very least, documented swordplay
activities as an A&S demo have *at least* the same place in a classroom as SCA
combat, in the instance where they are performed in a safe manner. I can
certainly understand why having a horse in the room may not quite be
appropriate. ;-)

Cheers,
Mathilde