[Ponte Alto] Fwd: RE: Demo and Marshal Activities (Ponte Alto)

Sigrune at aol.com Sigrune at aol.com
Wed May 4 06:41:26 PDT 2005

Seeing how I am bored at work, I will through in my $.02

Section IX of Appendix A. SOCIETY COMBAT, of Corpora states:
"1. Society combat-related activities are defined as armored
    combat, fencing, combat archery, marshalling, scouting,
    and banner bearing in combat. Other activities clearly
    falling within the scope of the above are also to be
    considered combat-related activities."

See also,
Apendix A, Section VII
KINGDOM, PRINCIPALITY, AND LOCAL OFFICERS.
"D. The Earl Marshal:
    The Earl Marshal is responsible for overseeing the
    conduct of all martial arts activities, including but not
    limited to tournament lists, wars, combat archery, and
    fencing, as well as such related activities as scouting
    and target archery. The Earl Marshal bears primary
    responsibility for promoting both the safety and the
    authenticity of the martial arts in the kingdom, but
    works with other officers in their areas of mutual
    interest."

I also would like to make a suggestion, since this falls under the perview of the Kingdom Earl Marshal, contact him, explain what it is you are doing, provide your credentials and he may then waive the requirements of waivers and a marshal.  In short it is something that falls under his perview by corpora, and only the KEM can make the call as to what is or is not required on a case by case basis.

Failing that if there is another reason why the people demonstrating the techniques do not wish to sign a waiver and get a marshal, why not simply perform the sword demo as the living history group that was mentioned earlier? I've been to faires, and open houses, schools and other places where a host of groups all contributed to a overall gathering, maybe that is the best way, since while period techniques with wasters and the like are studdied in the SCA, by demonstrating it as members of the SCA it may give a false impression of what combat is like within the SCA.

For what it is worth,
-Takeda Sanjuichiro Akimasa