[Ponte Alto] Fwd: RE: Demo and Marshal Activities (Ponte Alto)

Cindy Halstead chalstead3 at adelphia.net
Tue May 3 12:01:20 PDT 2005

To clarify one thing that I think may still be confusing people:  Waivers
are signed by SCA fighters providing the martial demonstration, not the
attendees.  Specifically, according to the waiver FAQ:

Does everyone at the fighter practice or demo need to sign a waiver?

No. Only those fighters who can't provide proof of signed waiver on file at
the SCA Corporate Headquarters need to sign a waiver. See the Waiver FAQs
for Participants above for a further discussion on what constitutes proof
of signed waiver on file at SCA Corporate Headquarters.

Based on this, my interpretation would be that demonstrating Fiore, because
it falls under the disciplines of the Earl Marshal, requires waivers
pursuant to the waiver policy.  In other words, Scott and his demo partner
need to sign waivers if they don't have blue membership cards, just like
any other fighter involved in the demo.  No waivers get signed by the kids
who are going to be watching the Fiore demonstration, and none of them are
directly participating in it since that's already not allowed under the rules.

I also just saw the other e-mail with a question about whether a marshal is
required.  Based on Jarl Timoch's answer, this demo is not considered to be
any different from any other fighting demo, and given that I would say that
a marshal is required.  I suspect that it would most appropriately be a
heavy marshal, but I cannot state that categorically.  Both of those issues
should be discussed with the Knight Marshal, and he can clear up any
confusion by checking with his superiors.  The marshallate policy I found
is this:

3.1.3.2.2.1   Each marshal related activity conducted at an event must have
a MIC-Activity.

3.1.3.2.2.2   The MIC-Activity must be authorized to marshal that discipline.

Generally, for the purpose of definition, demos are considered activities
in the same way that fighter practice is considered an activity.  However,
the marshallate rules are not my area of expertise.

Caitlyn
Donning the seneschallate hat for this one