FW: [Ponte Alto] Fundraising

Andrew Grey andrewgrey at cox.net
Mon Mar 28 21:03:04 PST 2005

> Ponte Alto has a long tradition of raising money via fund raisers at our
> events - be they silent auctions, donation jars, what have you.  If you
> will remember, we collected a not insignificant sum at our Day at the
> Races event to be used towards the purchase of flowers for Duke Gyrth.

Yes. I'm not saying a word about these.

> It was never anyone's intent to "piggyback" another fundraiser off of
> the memory of Duke Gyrth.  Both of these fund raisers were done with the
> intent to benefit causes near and dear to the hearts of the members of
> this Barony.

And herein lies what is soooo painful about this.  I don't believe for a
second that anyone intended or plotted to do that.  That would be idiotic to
assert. I'm quite sure that the thoughts behind all that went on were purely
honourable, however it is the rule unintended consequences is afoot here.

Fundraising is a tricky and spiny creature.  IF you say that the proceedes
from Event X are going to a charity, that is just fine.  And if the people
coming to the event have the "reasonable expectation" that their money at
troll is going to that cause, wonderful.  Where this got all mucked up was
when the Kingdom Travel Fund was thrown into it.  I know the why behind it,
Your Excellency has rightly explained it.  And this is all fine.  Here comes
the problem.

When people go to the event they do fun event things; have a good time,
watch fighting, eat a good lunch, sit in the sun,  get some wonderful baked
goods that were looking awfully good at troll, watch more fighting etc.  And
all is right with the world.  But then, the person hears later that the
event they thought (and was advertised) was donating funds to the ADA also
took in a nice bank for TRH travel fund.

HUH?

Ok, if you are sitting in the shoes of our random SCA event go'er it is a
pause that hits you.  The pause is one that makes you think back to what was
billed for the event, "...contribution to the ADA in the name of Duke
Gyrth..." (I'm improvising that but you get the point.)

And where did this Travel Fund thing come from???  Now I understand that
most all of you know that answer.  But the point is not too many folks did
know that and therein lies the problem.  To some it *does* seem like the KTF
was piggybacked off of the event being held for Gyrth.  That is, whether you
agree, a reasonable way to see what happened--if you are not privy to the
how's and why's of what went into the planing.  Which is most of the people
who came.

So if the inclination is to say "they should have read the signs at troll,
flyers posted, emails sent..." that is fine.  But understand that those
people who came and freely gave their money to Ponte Alto for this memorial
tourney trust that the Barony will be a good steward of the funds.  Now
imagine that, to the event goer, they hear  about how PA raised money for
the KTF at that Oldcastle Memorial tourney, you can see why they might be a
little teed off.

That is what has happened.  That is why I'm speaking up.  Not to defame or
impugne anyone's character.  I have no time for that and no desire either.

> The members of this Barony are also very proud to have one of our own
> serving Atlantia as Princess, and soon Queen.  We merely wished to show
> our support for Denise and Robert's efforts in that regard by assisting
> in defraying the costs associated with the extensive travel required.

The KTF is a huge issue in and of itself.  Had this been an issue of raising
money for lop-eared bunny dyeing classes,  no one would have said 'boo.'
Many folks have really bad memories of misused KTF money.  If I were going
to trust anyone with money it would be Denise and Robert.  Understand that
good upcoming monarchs is not enough to get the bad taste out of people's
mouths for the Fund's past abuses.  That is very sad.  I hope that TRH have
a prosperous and fun-filled reign that will not ever be touched by the
ill-choices of their predecessors long ago.

> Ponte Alto will hold no events while Denise sits the throne of Atlantia.
> We were not able to hold a fund raiser at Performers and Dance Symposium
> as originally intended.  Bloodbath was our last chance as a Barony to
> show our support in such a way.  If you find offense in the people of
> this Barony wanting to support our monarchs, then I am truly sorry.
> None was intended.

Your Excellency, how could I find fault with such a noble thing?  I couldn't
and I don't.

Andrew