[Ponte Alto] What constitutes an A&S entry

Barbara Reed bereed26 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 20 09:27:53 PST 2005

Nick -

A research paper is, I think, the best way to go.
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE follow appropriate sanitary &
safety measures if you wish to proceed with this on
your person - septicimia and tetnus can be deadly.
Just because a material or method is period does NOT
mean that it is either safe or adviseable.  Some of
the period pigments used in calligraphy &
illumination, for example, are downright deadly, and
practitioners of this art (including myself) are
warned to stay clear of these items.  Document the
practices - yes.  Explain why they are not done today
(this gains extra points with judges :-) However,
don't do anything which could potentially put yourself
or others at risk.

I would NOT advise doing tatooing at an event, even as
part of an A&S demonstration.  In many jurisdictions,
it could violate the state & local health ordinances.
We do not want to get an autocrat in trouble with the
local authorities.  There are also many individuals in
whom even the sight of a needle will induce fainting.

Yours in Service,

Greta Klusenaere
A&S Officer, Barony of Ponte Alto