[Ponte Alto] Japanese Sewing Circle (Ni-dai)

Ii Saburou logan at modzer0.gi.alaska.edu
Sat Feb 5 15:48:33 PST 2005

To recap:  Sewing Japanese garb at our house, Feb. 20th, 1 PM.
There are some sources for silk below.  Please let us know if you plan to
come so that we can have an idea of how many people we need to be ready
for.

Women:
For the women we will work on hitoe-style garments to be layered as
appropriate.  For this you will need:

(Per hitoe-style garment you would like to make:)
Fabric: Silk.  Thick organza (16mm or greater), plain-weave or twill.
Anything with body will work, as long as it is not too thick.
Size: 45" @ 5~6 yd or 60" @ 5~6 yd (or 60" @ 8 yd to make two!)
Color: Any color is good, but the combinations should generally follow
'kasane no irome':

   http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/japanese/Irome.htm
   http://www.tim.hi-ho.ne.jp/hebiguchi/d_colksn_e.htm

Note: we may have silk and other fabrics available to sell if people are
interested.  Otherwise we recommend http://thaisilks.com and
http://www.silkconnection.com

NOTE: Avoid 'slubby' silks, like dupioni, in general.  That 'natural' look
we so often like today was looked down on in Japan, where it was seen as
evidence of unskilled laborers in the making of the silk.

-Ii