[Ponte Alto] Save the Date: January 8 is the next "All Things 15th Century Field TRIP"

Lady Courtney de Houghton courtneydehoughton at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 6 14:43:05 PST 2005

Greetings!

  The next "All Things 15th Century Night" will actually be a field trip to the Walters Museum in Baltimore, MD.

  I am organizing a field trip to the Walter Museum so we can all enjoy the beautiful works of the Italian Renaissance and medieval Novgorod, as well as their permanent medieval display.  For the illuminations, it will be the last day the exhibit is available.

  We will meet at the museum at 10:30. Anyone wanting to caravan up from Northern Virginia should be at my home in Reston, VA no later than 9:15AM. Plan to be there plenty of time, the Walters has a lot to offer!

  There is local parking available for a fee, and a cafe in the museum.

  Please RSVP so I can coordinate everyone meeting at the right time and place.

  About the exhibits:

  "Dressed in Gold: Books of the Italian Renaissance" exhibit details:
http://www.thewalters.org/html/calendar_event.asp?ID=1100

Dates and times:
Wednesday through Sunday, October 15, 2005 - January 8, 2006
10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Manuscript Gallery
cost: Included with price of admission

>From their site:
The Walters' impressive collection of manuscripts contains many
splendid Italian Renaissance works, and this exhibition will showcase
the most spectacular examples. These manuscripts originate from all of
the major cultural centers in Italy, including Venice, Milan, Rome,
Florence, and Naples, and are of many different types, from liturgical
texts to private prayerbooks, and from epic poetry to diplomatic
documents. This will be the first time that these manuscripts have
been on view together for decades. It is planned to coincide with the
opening of the redesigned early Italian painting galleries and to
highlight the quality and depth of the Walters' collection of Italian
art. There will be an interactive computer kiosk.

For those who can't be there in person with us, you can still digitally tour the manuscripts:  http://www.waltersmanuscripts.org/voyager.cfm

   Sacred Arts and City Life: The Glory of Medieval Novgorod
  http://www.thewalters.org/html/calendar_event.asp?ID=1186

   Wednesday through Sunday, November 19, 2005 - February 12, 2006
10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Special Exhibition Galleries
cost: Included with admission

Organized by the Walters Art Museum in collaboration with the State Russian Museum, St. Petersburg, and the Novgorod Museum Federation, Novgorod, the exhibition examines the art and culture of Veliky Novgorod, Russia's oldest medieval city. The exhibition features approximately 290 objects, including 35 icons, that trace the material and artistic culture of Novgorod from the ninth century, through its golden age in the 14th century, to its eclipse by Moscow in the 16th century. The material culture of this remarkable city is represented by items such as carved wood and bone objects, leather goods, jewelry, musical instruments, and birch bark documents. Precious ecclesiastical objects--icons, metalwork, and textiles--from Novgorod's numerous churches highlight the cultural achievements of Novgorod's Golden Age. For the first time, these distinctive icons will be displayed together with the material culture of the city that produced them. By integrating the finds of ongoing
 archaeological excavations with the magnificent icons created by Novgorod's many churches, the installation brings visitors face to face with the material culture of Novgorod's citizens and saints to whom they looked for protection. The Walters the exclusive United States venue for this exhibition.

  Thanks!

  Lady Courtney

Lady Courtney de Houghton
Atlantian Clerk of Law