[Ponte Alto] Pockets

Craig Allen corun at medievalist.org
Mon Sep 13 11:54:28 PDT 2004

Nick wrote:

>When did pockets on coats become in trend or peroid?
>Nick

I believe late or even post 17th century which would put them out of period at least on coats. You did find pockets in Venetians and slops (pants) of the late 16th century. Otherwise your "pocket" was some kind of a belt pouch. I believe monks carried some kind of cloth bag under their garment that was referred to as a "pocket". I do not believe that inside pockets were used on doublets at all. Mistress Isobel Bedingfield once told me about the pockets in Venetians and that it would be perfectly period to have those rather than carry a pouch on a belt.

Corun

Signup at www.doteasy.com