[Ponte Alto] Source for linen for fighters

Jaine jaine at lazywench.com
Fri Jun 4 14:20:51 PDT 2004

Interestingly enough, I was told by a Dane whose mom used to do this that
you can achieve a blinding blue white if you lay your linen out to dry on
top of snow. The sun is reflected off the snow and you get a sunbleached
effect intensified. The fabric will freeze and then the water sublimates out
and it ends up dry. But if you try to take it up before it has dried, it
will crack into bits. Sublimation takes longer than evaporation, too.

The idea that linen would be regularly washed in the dead of winter is a bit
hard for me to wrap my brain around, though. The effort required to heat the
water, standing around while changing clothing with nothing on at all,
laying out laundry on the snow while wearing damp clothing, (because it
always manages to get that way with a massive hand wash...) They might not
have bothered. I'd rather be wearing dirty warm clothes than waiting for
days for my clothing to sublimate dry with temperatures in the sub freezing
zone. And imagine trying to tell your hubster that his favorite shirt is no
more because you broke it into a gajillion pieces when taking the laundry in
before a storm.

Jaine