[Ponte Alto] Shlager vs epee

Belphoebe belfebe at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 2 07:20:01 PDT 2003

Dear Sven,

Corun is right.  You may do only schlagger, but you
are going to miss a lot and handicap yourself.  Epee
is the default weapon in Atlantia.  Most fighters do
epee before they authorize schlager, and you will find
that there is a much higher percentage of people doing
epee than schlager.

Also, all melees in Atlantia are epee default, so you
would be missing all the fighting at those events
where melees are the main, if not only, dish.  And we
love melees in Atlantia.

Not only that.  Being only schlager authorized will
handicap you in a tournament.  If your oponent is not
authorized in schlager, you would find yourself
without being able to fight at all.  And since epee is
the default weapon, you would find yourself in a very
difficult spot.  (Unless of course, you decide to go
single or double dagger versus his epee.  That is
legal here, and we have very fine dagger fighters in
Ponte Alto.  We will be delighted to teach you :-)

But I would recommend that you get a cheap epee or
foil (you can borrow one at practice in the meantime).
 We will be happy to teach you how to fight epee.  It
is a different, much faster game, and just as much
fun.  And remember, the more toys you have to play
with, the more fun you can have.

Cheers,

Belphoebe

--- corun at cox.net wrote:
> Sven wrote:
> >
> > Could someone perhaps explain briefly and clearly
> the differences in rules on
> > these. I fought a bit in Artemesia, where they
> only have shlager, and I'd like
> > to be able to fight there when I go back for
> vacations and such, but I'd also
> > like to be able to participate here. Is there a
> way to do this without having
> > to have an epee? Any help would be most
> appreciated!
>
> Atlantia uses schlager and in looking through the
> Policies of the Kingdom Rapier Marshal I find
> nothing that says one must first authorize in any
> other weapons form before authorizing shlager. If
> you are authorized in schlager in Artemesia then it
> should be a simple matter of re-authorizing here in
> order to comply with Kingdom Law and Policy
> (visitors to Atlantia may use their Kingdom's
> authorization, but new residents must re-authorize).
> The only thing you lose in not getting an epee is a
> lot of other fighting you might be able to enjoy. We
> have done schlager meless but these are not the norm
> and we usually use epee for melees.
>
> In service,
> Corun, AFS

=====
-- It is a terrible insult to anyone to kill them when you are badly dressed.
(From the Rules of Ettiquette of the Ankh Morpork Guild of Assasins)
House Fallen From Grace: http://ffg.freeshell.org
Atlantian Siege Guild http://siege.atlantia.sca.org