[Ponte Alto] Fw: [MR] Skein competition at Fall Crown Tourney

Daria of Atlantia daria at brewer.sca.org
Wed Sep 10 12:58:23 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michelle L. McDaniel" <McDanielM at si.edu>
To: <atlantia at atlantia.sca.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 3:13 PM
Subject: [MR] Skein competition at Fall Crown Tourney

> Greetings all!
>
> Crown Tourney is fast approaching and you know what that means...another
Tempore Atlantia. This next competition focuses on the pre-1000 AD time
period. As this is one of my favorite time periods, I'm sponsoring a
sub-competition.

> The competition is a skein competition. The  skeins need to have been spun
on a drop spindle from any fiber in use before 1000 AD. Documentation is a
must. Please include in your documentation the time period and geographic
location, materials, methods, what you plan to do with your yarn, and a
bibliography.

> When describing your methods, please include any processing steps. The
more steps you've done the better. Did you grow the critter/plant, harvest
it, wash it, dye it, process it, and then spin it or did you spin from
prepared fiber? Did you make any of your tools along the way? (Spinning from
fiber you washed, combed, and dyed will most likely get a higher score than
yarn from commercially prepared fiber.)

> The skein can be any size, singles or plied and you can enter as many
skeins as you want.

> Everyone who participates will get a little something, with the winner
getting a drop spindle from Spanish Peacock and a bag of wool.

> There is just over seven weeks before Crown Tourney, so get spinning!
>
> Good luck and I look forward to seeing all the great yarn!
>
> Please forward this message to your local e-mail lists and any other
in-kingdom lists that are appropriate.