[Ponte Alto] Stracciatella recipe

Kevin Maxson Kevin at Maxson.com
Fri Oct 3 11:51:05 PDT 2003

Here's the soup recipe everyone asked for.  This is what I
started with; I admit recipes rarely survive first contact
with my kitchen, so what I served in February 2002 would
have been slightly different.  (For instance, I believe I
made a vegetable stock as opposed to beef stock so that the
dish would be vegetarian-friendly.)

STRACCIATELLA
-------------
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 40 minutes
1.5 litre stock
200 g Parmesan
100 g bread
100 g almonds
3 eggs
parsley
salt

Peel and grind the almonds, beat the eggs, grate the
Parmesan and crumble the bread. Mix all together in a bowl
and taste for salt. Bring the beef stock to the boil and
pour in the egg mixture. Cook for two minutes, beating
with a whisk all the time. Serve very hot, garnished with
freshly chopped parsley.

Bartolomeo Sacchi's recipe began, "Mix together seven eggs,
half a pound of grated cheese and breadcrumbs...", while
Maestro Martino's name for it was zanzarelli. For Pellegrino
Artusi it was panata (bread soup) and he suggested adding
cooked peas or green vegetables to it, mixing them in and
heating through well just before serving.

  +   Kevin of Thornbury, OP
 +++  (Kevin Maxson)