[Ponte Alto] my garb

james barker flonzy at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 16 07:04:39 PDT 2003

Devin

Belphoebe and Kevin's suggestions are good, it is best to choice and period
and research it. As to the items you listed high boots wear worn late 15th
century on but they were really only for riding. Even though most reenacters
like them for 16th century all the time if you look to period art shoes were
worn inside. I don't believe leather quivers like modern ones were used in
Europe, archers during there height in the late 14th century to the early
16th century were supplied from wagons that had load and loads of arrow and
typically put the arrows in their belt or in the earth in front of them so
they could quickly let them loose. Reserves were not used in Europe they
were a Mongle and Middle East weapon.

Of coarse that is all ultra anal period info and just for your knowledge,
mixing these things in the SCA is just fine :)

Late 14th century to the early 16th century England was the place and time
for the heavy use of archers. During the 100 years war and War of the Rose
archers were a major part of combat for the English.

A simple 14th century outfit would be:

Braies
Chausses
Shirt
Tunic, gown (G63), or cotehardie
Simple hat or hood

Examples:

http://www.labelle.org/Pics_Gallry/archerfun.jpg
http://www.labelle.org/Pics_Gallry/captPiers.jpg
http://www.labelle.org/Pics_Gallry/training.jpg
http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/images/garb14th/full/evmerlin.jpg
http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/images/garb14th/full/Image14.jpg
http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/images/garb14th/full/cotekev7.jpg

A simple outfit for 15th would be:

Full hosen with codpiece
Doublet
Shirt
Simple hat

Examples:

http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/images/MTT2003/full/Image16.jpg
http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/images/MTA2003/full/all.jpg
http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/images/MTA2003/full/Image02.jpg
http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Greys/images/mtt2003/full/cooks.jpg
http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Greys/images/mtt2003/full/mtt30.jpg
http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Greys/images/mtt2003/full/mtt40.jpg

Chainmaille is period for both 14th and 15th century archers.

Hope this info helps.
James