[Ponte Alto] Demo announcement 5/10

Spears, Kate KSpears at FDIC.gov
Thu Feb 27 10:35:34 PST 2003

We've successfully had fighting as part of demos on the Mall, and as long as
the authorities are informed, they've generally been pretty cooperative.
We've also done a live-action chess game, which was loads of fun.

Aislynn
Who still has the poster from the last demo at the Smithsonian on her wall
at work.
-----Original Message-----
From: Belphoebe [mailto:belfebe at yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2003 1:16 PM
To: ponte-alto at atlantia.sca.org
Subject: Re: [Ponte Alto] Demo announcement 5/10

Perhaps it would be better to stick only to an A&S
kind of demo, if they are having issues with any kinds
of weapons.  Better safe than sorry.

Belphoebe

--- AbelofRegnesfolc at aol.com wrote:
> --
> Standard Time, corun at cox.net
> writes:
>
> > Abel wrote:
> > >
> > >Knightly Day on the Mall- May 10, National Mall-
> Washington Monument
> >
> > [SNIP]
> >
> > >Some of the things to keep in mind about the
> site:
> > >
> > >4.  No live steel; however "Olympic style
> fencing" equipment is allowed
> > (so
> > >foils are okay but leave the Schlagers at home).
> >
> > In the first part of this you say Olympic style
> equipment, but at the end
> > you mention foils only. Are we allowed to use
> epees, which piece of Olympic
> > style fencing equipment is much the more
> predominantly used than just
> > foils. Also, how about flexi daggers? I would much
> rather see more detail
> > on what equipment is or is not allowed right up
> front for the sake of
> > adhering to the laws as well as the concerns of
> the Park Police (and the
> > Secret Service, FBI, CIA and whoever else is down
> there these days watching
> > every little thing going on within five miles of
> the White House).
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Corun
>
> Hello Corun,
> To answer your question only fencing foils are
> allowed at this point. I will
> specifically ask about  the epees, sabers, and flexi
> daggers with the park
> service during the permit review in March. Foils
> drew the least questions in
> my conversations so far simply because the reviewing
> officer had a frame of
> reference for them. Remember as it is a demo, we can
> always tell the populace
> what is used at local practices if it differs from
> what is available on that
> day.
>
> Also realize that the Park Service is a little extra
> paranoid so I am not
> sure what their final ruling will be.
>
> However I think it would be best if people left
> their personal swords,
> spears, katanas, daggers, maces, axes, etc., at
> home. Lets not get any more
> raised eyebrows than nessecary and approach this as
> conservativley as
> possible.
>
> -Abel

=====
-- It is a terrible insult to anyone to kill them when you are badly
dressed.
(From the Rules of Ettiquette of the Ankh Morpork Guild of Assasins)
House Fallen From Grace: http://ffg.freeshell.org