[Ponte Alto] Please help out at our upcoming demos!

Shannon Smith sorchadeglys at worldnet.att.net
Mon Apr 23 22:05:43 PDT 2001

Greetings, citizens of Ponte Alto from your demo coordinator!  There is lots
of information in this missive, so please bear with me and read on!

First of all, thank you to Allasondrea de Fano, Corun MacAnndra, and Anne of
Carthew for bringing the world of medieval music alive for the students of
Camelot Elementary.  The teacher writes: "Thank you very much for your
performance on Friday.  The kids really enjoyed seeing and hearing the
instruments that you brought.  Your presentation was a great introduction to
the Middle Ages.  Please pass our thanks on to the other members of your
group."  Vivat!!!

Since we had no one attend the demo at Georgetown University, I am going to
invite their group attend 20-Year.  Yes, they will still have to pay their
own way (and pre-register), but at least we can open the door.

Here is the calendar of upcoming demos:
April 27 Laurel Ridge Elementary, Burke  1-3pm (approx.)
  Medieval Faire - 5th grade students

May 11 Waples Mill Elementary, Oakton  Time TBA
  LASTPG at aol.com - Linda Wilson

May 25, 24, 18, or 30 Floris Elementary, Herndon after 1pm
  5th grade Presentation

June 3 Nokesville Day (sp. By N. Ruritan Club) All day
Parade and Demo, Steirbach

June 20 Mary Riley Styles Library, Falls Church 2:00 pm
  Elementary school students

June 26  Mary Riley Styles Library, Falls Church  7:00 pm
  Middle school students

The demo on Friday is last minute notice, but the teacher is in a bind.  The
first visitor just cancelled and so we are being asked to please save the
day.  As a bonus, a member of the Barony, Alanna Byrd, attends the school
and is in the class getting the demo!  The teacher should be in touch to be
more specific about the time, but right now we are estimating sometime
between 1 and 3 for your planning purposes.  If you are able to make it to
this demo, please don't wait to contact me!

The demo for Floris has a few options.  Mrs. Spear's (not related to our own
Aislynn!) would prefer the dates May 25, 25, 18, or 30, in that order.  I
mentioned that we have a major event on the weekend of the 25th, so I would
ask the populace what they preferred.  Please send me some feedback on this
by the end of the week so we can firm up a date and time with her.  Thanks
so much.

In general, please contact me if you can attend any of these demos or if you
have any questions.  As you can see, we are heavily booked for this spring
and early summer, so I hope that we will see some new faces at demos (to
give relief to our trusty supporters as well as get to know more of the
populace.)  We especially need fighters to volunteer - you are always the
hit of the show!  I am available at (703) 264-0072 or sorchadeglys at att.net.

The following are details of each of the demos.  Thanks again, everyone, for
your unwavering support and generosity.  I look forward to seeing your
smiling faces at a demo soon.

Yours, in service,
Sorcha de Glys

******************
April 27 1-3pm
Laurel Ridge Elementary, Burke

Medieval presentation for the fifth grade annual Medieval Faire
Demo on Armor, costumes, history, weapons, battles, heraldry, music, royal
politics, etc.  Otherwise provide atrmosphere for their faire.

*****************
May 11 Time TBA
Waples Mill Elementary, Oakton

Middle Ages presentation for the 5th Grade class.  See above and below for
possible topics.  Mrs. Wilson, the teacher, was impressed with our
demo/display/music at Night on Oaktown and has worked hard to get her school
to invite us!

May 25, 24, 18, or 30 (we pick)
Floris Elementary
2708 Centerville Road, Herndon

We did a demo for them last year and they want us back!  It's the fifth
grade class section on the Middle Ages, so we will cover clothing, music,
calligraphy, armor, fighting, life of children, etc.

Directions: