[MR] History Blog: "Crusader" Sword From Finland

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 01:38:25 PDT 2023

Noble Friends,

Today's History Blog entry describes a "Crusader" sword that was recently
found in a construction trench in Finland.

The sword has a straight cross-guard and a three-sided oval pommel. The
blog states this type of sword dates to 1050-1150, though it doesn't
mention an Oakshott typology. Well, it is pretty rusted out, and may be
beyond classification. This is probably an Oakshott X or XI, but a lot
depends on the length of the fuller, and the fuller could be rusted away.

Calling this a "Crusader" sword could be rather misleading. No doubt
similar swords were carried by Crusaders, but there is no obvious
connection between this sword and the Crusades. It is like claiming any old
item from Oak Island is connected with the Templars. [Don't get me started
on that! Though I will say that the next season is due to start on 7
November. I will be watching, and no doubt groaning over every fascinating,
but alleged, Templar artifact.]

Scabbard pieces, and parts of a belt were also recovered, along with bones
and parts of a wooden coffin. [Question: Why are weapons in a Christian
casket grave at this date? Very Viking-ish.] Later more graves were found
nearby.

You can see the blade and some of the other pieces at
https://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/68556 .

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆
Continuing a "crusade" to keep Merry Rose relevant and in business.