[MR] Robert Carey and His Famous/Infamous Ride

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 03:06:14 PDT 2023

Noble Friends,

Today I want to write about Sir Robert Carey (1560-1639), 1st Earl of
Monmouth, and his role in what could be considered the final act in our SCA
period of interest. Carey, at least by his own estimation, was an extremely
important figure in Elizabeth I's court, and created a starring role for
himself upon her death.

Like most men of stature in late Tudor England, Carey had a number of jobs
as soldier, diplomat, and administrator. He was probably near the middle of
the pack in importance. One of his most notable assignments was Warden of
Middle March from 1594 to 1596, one of the three English counties along the
Scottish border. As warden, he was charged with keeping the peace in the
face of constant cross-border raids by both Scottish and English rievers.
These were private armies of thugs who kept the border area in turmoil for
much of the 16th century. Carey was thus well known in Scotland, though
possibly not respected, since he usually favored English rievers when
settling disputes.

Queen Elizabeth had resisted naming an heir and successor before she
entered her terminal decline in March 1603 and was no longer capable of
even speaking. Everybody expected she would name James VI of Scotland, her
closest living male relative. Robert Cecil was in secret correspondence
with the Scottish king to smooth his accession. Still, there were other
possible claimants, and nobody wanted a repeat of the Lady Jane Grey affair.

So at this point Robert Carey saw his chance for advancement. Carey was
hanging around Richmond Palace during the Queen's last hours. When she
finally expired on 24 March 1603, his sister Philadelphia, a
lady-in-waiting, slid a gold ring with a blue stone from the dead Queen's
hand. The ring had been a token of friendship from James to Elizabeth.
Philadelphia slipped the ring into a sock, and dropped it from a window to
Robert, waiting below. Then he was off to Edinburgh, covering the whole 400
or so miles in just two days, thanks to strategically placed relief mounts
along the route. Upon his arrival, Carey was able to talk his way into
James's presence and presented the ring as proof of the Queen's demise.

James VI of Scotland was now also James I of England. James named Carey a
Gentleman of the Bedchamber, but his unauthorized ride created a scandal at
the English court. James sacked him shortly after arriving in London. Carey
remained a middling coutier for much of life under both James I and Charles
I, but his dreams of higher office were never fulfilled.

Carey's ride is featured in the delightful book SCOTLAND'S FORGOTTEN PAST,
A HISTORY OF THE MISLAID, MISPLACED & MISUNDERSTOOD by Alistair Moffat
(London: Thames & Hudson, 2023).

You can also read more about Robert Carey at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Carey,_1st_Earl_of_Monmouth .

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆