[MR] BBC: Richard III and Disability

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 03:09:36 PDT 2022

Noble Friends,

Today the BBC is offering a piece discussing Richard III, both as a
historical figure, and as depicted in Shakespeare. The slant on the story
concerns a disabled actor, Arthur Hughes, who has been cast as Richard for
a live-stage production with the Royal Shakespeare Company.

Whether you believe Richard was a monster or a saint, this story is thought
provoking:
https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20220718-why-shakespeares-richard-iii-became-a-controversial-villain
.

The story led me to contemplate how the SCA deals with disabled or
otherwise "different" members (including people of color and those with
various sexual orientations). Officially, we have some rather stern
non-discrimination and anti-bullying rules, which I hope are rigorously
enforced.

It wasn't always so in the past. Many years ago I heard a tale from
another kingdom about a physically disabled newcomer who was driven from an
SCA event in tears when told they "could only portray a cripple". The
person who was chased away could have found satisfaction and contributed to
our society in many ways where a physical handicap would make no difference.

At Pennsic I encountered two ladies who rode about in disability scooters
creatively fitted up to look like horses pulling carts. I was told by one
that her "steed" had been criticized as "inappropriate" to the seriousness
of the SCA. These ladies both were thriving in their SCA characters and
roles. Such comments may not have been intentionally hurtful, and probably
would not rise to an actionable offense, but were still inappropriate in an
inclusive society such as ours.

I invite you all to read the BBC piece and take a moment to reflect on how
each of us can (and must) accept SCA members who are "different".

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆