[MR] Scribal Announcement from the Clerk Signet's Office

Failenn Chu inghean ui Fhaelain faoiltighearna at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 15:55:49 PST 2022

Greetings to scribes of all levels,

I know it is only February, and I know I haven't received assignments for
it yet. However, Coronation will be upon us before we know it. This is one
of the biggest events we have as scribes. Coronation means lots of awards,
Outgoing Royalty will have Their last awards of Their reign to give, and
the Incoming Royalty will have Their first awards of Their reign to give.
What does this mean? It means on top of the awards going out to the events
prior to Coronation, we're going to be up to our necks in assignments! It's
an ALL HANDS ON DECK!! moment, and I will need all who are willing and able
to answer that call when it comes out.

Now. I know there are a lot of you who think you are not good enough right
now for "live" awards (some think they aren't even good enough for backlogs
to which I answer horse pucky), so you're scared to come forward and start
showing us your work. Please, please, please, do not be scared. We all
started somewhere. We only gor better with practice and advice. There are
several fantastic Laurels and Pearls who know all sorts of fabulous things
about illumination and calligraphy. Some work in period pigments, some work
in gouache, and some work in acrylic. If you ever need advice, or
constructive criticism, please come to me, ping me on a thread, ask for a
Laurel or Pearl to come to the white courtesy phone for advice. That is
what we are here for. To teach and mentor and encourage and lift up. You
have only to ask.

I generally have a policy in place in order to keep from overloading the
scribes. No more than 1-2 scroll assignments per event unless necessity
changes that. That rule might get relaxed during April for the sake of
assignments. It is mostly in place so that you do not burn out and have the
time needed to complete your assignment with all the little details and
flourishes that make your heart sing. A few have commented that I am not
doing scrolls. That is correct. I only take assignments that I have been
specially requested for or drop dead last minute I can't find anyone else
with the bandwidth to do them. This is because I took this office to
promote others. To lift other artists up and encourage them to soar. Help
me to live up to that.

Mentors (not just the Laurels), encourage your students if you feel they
are ready. Tell them what level you think they've reached and use this as a
teaching moment to get them to the next level. I have a feeling we're going
to need every scribe we can get for the upcoming coronation and reign. Feel
free to message me to let me know where each student is. We're all in this
together.

Another thing to keep in mind. There are resource groups out there on
Facebook, some not affiliated with the SCA but who still try to keep the
medieval aesthetic going. The Aspiring Scribes Forum is one. Sunday Night
with the Scribes is another which is also a Sunday evening virtual
scriptorium (yay no having to travel with everything!! You can sit in the
comfort of your own home and not worry about if the paint's dry enough for
transport). And there are a lot more resources all over if you only look.
I'm still working on getting my own zoom account for the Office so I can
set up a virtual scriptorium of our own.

Thank you all again for the wonderful gifts you make and share with the
Kingdom. You may have no idea whose life you will have touched by having
that scroll ready to hand for the Royals to give them. But to them it will
mean the world. Keep being awesome, keep practicing.

Yours in Service to the Dream,
Ollam Failenn
Clerk Signet of Atlantia
PS, if you haven't joined it, I announce assignments on this group here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/160563477340145  (Please remember to answer
the 3 questions)