[MR] Wikipedia: Death of Duncan I, King of Alba

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 05:53:22 PDT 2022

Noble Friends, especially fellow Scots,

On this date in 1040, King of Alba (Scotland), Duncan I, was killed in
battle.

Duncan was killed by the Mormaer of Moray MacBeth's men at Bothnagowan (now
Pitgaveny) in Moray. Macbeth then seized the throne. Duncan was definitely
not murdered in his sleep, as depicted by Shakespeare, nor was Macbeth the
total monster as depicted in "The Scottish Play".

The Duncan was initially buried near Elgin. Later his remains were
translated to Iona, burial site of many early Scottish nobles and kings.
Contrary to popular belief, his usurper Macbeth is NOT buried on Iona (just
ask the docents at Iona Abbey who tend the cemetery), despite the claim in
Wikipedia.

Duncan had at least two sons. The eldest was Malcolm (aka* Malcolm Canmore*,
or* Malcolm "Big Head"). *He slew Macbeth at the Battle of Lumphanan on 27
August 1057. Malcolm later offed Macbeth's step son and successor Lulach on
23 April 1058, and then claimed the throne of Alba as Malcolm III.

The second son was Donald (aka "Donaldbain"). In 1093 he briefly succeeded
his brother as Donald II, King of Alba. Soon chased from the throne, he
returned in 1094 and ruled until overthrown again by some of Malcolm's sons
in 1097. Donald is believed to have died in prison in 1099, and was
eventually buried on Iona.

Rough game, Scottish politics!

More about Duncan I, with links to the other players, is at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_I_of_Scotland .

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆