[MR] BBC: Bunions and Pointy Shoes

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 03:18:46 PDT 2021

Noble friends,

Today the BBC is offering a brief piece about bunions caused by wearing
excessively pointy shoes during our period of interest. Analysis of
skeletons dug up in Cambridge show a very high incidence of bunions. They
even showed up on clergymen, who weren't supposed to wear fashionable
clothes.

The story is found at
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-57427365 .

This story has particular relevance to me, as I have struggled to find
proper footwear ever since I joined the SCA. Bad choices, including
supposedly well-made shoes from a popular re-enactment footwear company,
caused me huge problems. Among the worst damage were several toes whose
nails were injured, fell off, and never grew back correctly. My ultimate
solution was extra-wide, extra-long Red Wing chukka boots, which have a
superficial resemblance to some late Saxon shoes. Leather laces were added,
and the uppers are partly covered by Scottish mogens. I also wear the
thickest wool hiking socks I could find. Comfort at last, and a reasonable
period look too!

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆