[MR] Ancient Origins: Fairy Rings

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 02:27:52 PDT 2020

Noble Friends,

Today Ancient Origins offers a story about "fairy rings", the mysterious
rings of toadstools which quickly appear and seem to move from place to
place. In many cultures these bizarre features were thought to be the work
of fairies, witches or devils, and play a part in medieval folklore
especially in the British isles.

Nope, sorry, but no Fair Folk. The rings are now known to be a natural
growth process of a sub-soil fungal mat which constantly expands outward in
search of nutrients:
https://www.ancient-origins.net/human-origins-folklore/do-you-dare-enter-fairy-ring-mythical-mushroom-portals-supernatural-003677
.

What a disappointment! Once again, science takes the magic out of our
world. It is probably just as well -- I have seen such rings in our
kingdom, especially with some huge mushrooms that I think are poisonous
amanitas.

If the story piques your interest, here is more:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy_ring .

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆
(Who doesn't like mushrooms, but is o.k. with the Fair Folk)