[MR] Guardian: 7th C. Saxon Brooch From Unusual Burial

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 02:33:12 PDT 2020

Noble Friends,

A friend send me this story from The Guardian newspaper back in February,
and I've had it on the spike (so to speak!) since then. Now is the time to
share it with all of you.

The newspaper reports that a the grave of a Saxon woman yielded a lovely
gold and garnet cross. The burial is dated to 650-680 CE, suggesting that
the young woman was an early Christian convert. This is further suggested
by the presence of paganish grave goods, such as knife and some gold and
garnet pins. The woman was also buried on a bed, from which only some iron
supports remain.

Enjoy the story and photos at
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/feb/01/1300-year-old-anglo-saxon-cross-presented-to-cambridge-museum
.