[MR] Wikipedia: J.R.R. Tolkien

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 01:54:01 PST 2020

Noble Friends,

While he isn't strictly within our SCA field of interest, today marks
J.R.R. Tolkien's birthday in 1892. In as much as he had a major influence
on fantasy fiction, which underpins the SCA's founding, and is a favorite
author to most of us, I thought it appropriate to make mention of him today.

A biographical sketch is found at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien .

Perhaps the best tribute we can offer Professor Tolkien would be to read
(or let's say begin to read) one of his works today. I would do so, had I
not a huge pile of other books awaiting my attention (mainly books on
Scottish history) -- mostly books I would not have purchased but for
Tolkien's influence on my life.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆