[MR] Wikipedia: Scottish Kingdom of Strathclyde / Ystrad Clud / Alt Clut

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 03:20:38 PDT 2020

Noble Friends,

So today let's plunge into the rather sketchy history of Strathclyde, the
last kingdom to be incorporated into what is now modern Scotland. It's a
poorly documented and thus murky journey, but with some surprises.

Sometime during the 5th century, a kingdom arose in what is now
west-central Scotland which was sometimes known as Ystrad Clud, Alt Clut or
Strathclyde. If that sounds like Welsh to you, you are correct. Strathclyde
was a Cumbric/Welsh-speaking kingdom. The kingdom's lands changed with the
fortunes of war and conquest, but in general Strathclydewas centered around
what became Glasgow, extending west along the River Clyde, north to take in
the area around Loch Lomond, and south into what today is Lanarkshire. At
one time their capital was located just north of the Rock of Dumbarton (Alt
Clut, in some documents this name was applied to the whole kingdom). When
that area and the fort on the Rock of Dumbarton was trashed by Vikings in
870, the capital moved first to Glasgow, then south to Govan.

Strathclyde was probably Christianized in the 6th century by the efforts of
Saint Kentigern, a Welsh-speaking bishop and contemporary of Saint Columba.
The city of Glasgow grew from his monastic community. He is regarded as
Glasgow's founder, and remains the city's patron saint.

Strathclyde was among the most powerful dark age kingdoms in northern
Britain during the 7th and 9th centuries, at various times controlling
Northumbria and Carlisle. They had to be powerful, as they were beset by
Irish Gales from Argyle in the west and Galloway in the southwest,
Picts/Scots from the north, and Saxons from the east and southeast, all
hungry for more territory. Strathclyde ceased to be a major power after the
Viking attack of 870. Somehow the kingdom survived into the eleventh
century as a weak client state under the Scots. Strathclyde was conquered
and incorporated into Scotland proper sometime between 1018 and 1050. The
Cumbric/Welsh language lingered into the 13th century when it was finally
replaced by Gaelic, then Scots English.

And why do I take so much interest in an obscure dark ages kingdom? Well,
for one reason is it is part of Scottish history. The other reason is The
Lennox. The Earls of Lennox traditionally controlled the area between Loch
Lomond extending east to Stirling (still known as "The Lennox"). My Nae
Peer ancestors are said to be descended from the Earls of Lennox (it's
pretty shady family history though!). However, a 1290 charter by Malcolm I,
Earl of Lennox, confirmed that one John le Nae Peer (my direct ancestor)
was granted lands in the Cardross area near the River Clyde and extending
to the southern shore of Loch Lomond. The Napiers built a castle at
Kilmahew (which survives in ruins) near the Clyde, and held these lands
until the early 19th century. This makes my ancestors (and thus Lord
Mungo's) likely to have been among the valiant men of Strathcylde.

More about Strathclyde's confusing history with a very interesting map of
their territories can be found at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Strathclyde .

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆