[MR] BBC Reel: Medieval "Doomsday Bunker" Under Castle

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 02:57:59 PDT 2020

Noble Friends,

Lady Sarah Sinclair spotted this story, and I've been saving it for a dry
spell of items upon which to comment. It's been pretty dry this week, so
you get the benefit.

Château de Brézé in France's Loire Valley dates to at least the 11th
century. Beneath its imposing above-ground architecture, are 3 km of
tunnels and galleries, intended as a last-ditch redout in case the castle
above fell to an attack. This brief film explores some of these wonders.
The narration is in French, but English subtitles are provided.

Enjoy the film at
https://www.bbc.com/reel/playlist/secret-worlds?vpid=p08b8d1n .

Château de Brézé has its own web site at
https://www.chateaudebreze.com/castle-france-loire-saumur . Note that when
you click on the little Union Jack flag at the upper right, most text will
be displayed in English. This site has a lot of features, and includes some
very interesting photos. Also do take note of the cute little heraldry
animation that appears at the beginning. I wish I knew how to do that for
Mallard Lodge.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆
(Bored, but still respecting sequestration and social distancing)