[MR] Wikipedia: Robert Stewart, Ancestor of Scottish / English Monarchs

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 03:43:05 PDT 2020

Noble Friends, Especially Fellow Scots,

On this day in 1327, Walter Stewart, 6th High Steward of Scotland, passed
to his eternal reward. As the implies, his family were traditional High
Stewards of Scotland, a very important office, and were the various kings'
most trusted servants and allies. The first known High Steward of Scotland
was Walter fitz Alan, High Steward to King David I. His grandson, the Third
High Steward (who was also a Walter) took the surname Stewart, which was
then carried down through the generations.

Walter, 6th Steward, fought beside King Robert the Bruce at Bannockburn. In
late 1314  Walter escorted King Robert's wife Elizabeth de Burgh and their
daughter Marjorie Bruce when the ladies were released from eight years of
English captivity. Walter Stewart later married Marjorie Bruce. King David
II, last of Robert the Bruce's sons, died childless. The Kingship then
passed through Marjorie (by then dead) to her son by Walter Stewart, who
ruled as Robert II. Thus the dynasty of Scottish / English Stewart rulers
was established. Although the lineage took a side trip through the House of
Saxe Coburg, the current Queen is descended from the the Scottish Stewarts.

Side issue: My real Napier ancestors are supposedly descended from the
Earls of Lennox (the connection is a bit dodgy and is not in any surviving
documents). The Lennox line failed in 1457, and lordship of the Lennox with
its earldom passed to the Stewarts of Darnley in 1473 through a thin female
connection. Later Henry Stewart, known as Lord Darnley, was the consort of
Mary Queen of Scots and father of King James VI/1 of Scotland and England.
So the current Queen may be an extremely distant cousin. I don't expect to
be invited to tea. 😢

You can read more about Walter Stewart at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Stewart,_6th_High_Steward_of_Scotland .

For a complete list of Scotland's High Stewards see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_High_Steward_of_Scotland .

The sad story of Marjorie Bruce can be found at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marjorie_Bruce .

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge 🦆