[MR] BBC: More Fun For Castle Geeks

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 02:31:29 PDT 2019

Noble Friends, Especially the Welsh,

This week we seem to be rolling in castle articles. Today the BBC is
offering the story "Why Does Wales Have So Many Castles?":
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-49609150?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.com/news/uk&link_location=live-reporting-story
. In addition to the text and photos, the clicking on the first image opens
a brief "fly-over" of a number of the most impressive Welsh castles. Among
them is the lovely Castell Coch near Cardiff, a delightful 19th century
confection built over the ruins of a real medieval fortress.

More about Castell Coch can be found at
https://cadw.gov.wales/visit/places-to-visit/castell-coch (it is still open
to the public, but will close for renovations in 2020). See also the
Wikipedia article at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castell_Coch .

The other day when I posted about the virtual reality castle site, I
mentioned Criccieth Castle in a rainstorm. I couldn't find my way back to
this site then, but here is the link to the very dramatic film clip (and as
suggested by the soldiers looking at the castle, possibly ominous,
especially for those living the houses around the castle):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMbBAbaM5Vw . Don't miss this one, as it is
one the best I've seen. Sadly, like most YouTube videos (at least with my
connection) it starts out fuzzy but then becomes very sharp.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆