[MR] Wikipedia: Death of Robin Hood

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 12:54:01 PST 2019

Noble friends,

Supposedly on this date in 1247, Robin Hood died at the age of 87. Well . .
. how does one fix the death date of legend, you ask? Good question.

We can thank Joseph Ritson who published an authoritative collection of
Robin Hood ballads in 1795. His choice of 1160 for Robin Hood's birth, and
the death date, are based on meticulous examination of the ballads.
Something of a stretch, I think, since there does not appear to be a real
Robin Hood behind these stories.

In any case, Robin Hood remains a fascinating and popular character. For
more about him, Wikipedia offers an extensive discussion of the legends,
and how they have inspired books, plays, television programs and movies at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hood .

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆