[MR] BBC: William Marshal Tapestry Unveiled

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Fri May 31 03:58:33 PDT 2019

Noble Friends,

I almost missed this story in favor of posting on several historical
anniversaries, and the BBC has moved it into their archives. But here it is.

A tapestry depicting the live and accomplishments of William Marshal, the
1st Earl of Pembroke (1146 or 1147-1219) and acclaimed the "Greatest
Knight" was unveiled this past Tuesday. The work took seven women 8,000
hours to complete. The tapestry is done in the style of the Bayeau
Tapestry. It has gone on display at Pembroke Castle during the remembrance
of Marshal's death 800 years ago: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-48432033
. Sadly, I was unable to find a good view of the tapestry itself, but
thumbnails can be seen at
http://thepastelsociety.org.uk/index.php/workshops/9-news/291-tom-walker-william-marshall-tapestry
.

William Marshal is featured in panel 7 of another modern tapestry, the Ros
Tapestry from Ireland:
http://www.rostapestry.ie/the-panels/7-william-marshall-the-flower-of-chivalry/
.

More about Marshal's Pembroke Castle can be found at
http://www.castlewales.com/pembroke.html and on Wikipedia at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pembroke_Castle .

Those of you who missed my earlier post on William Marshal himself can read
Wikipedia's article at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Marshal,_1st_Earl_of_Pembroke .

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆