[MR] BBC Travel: Stirling Castle

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 02:46:58 PDT 2019

Noble Friends, Especially Fellow Scots,

A few days ago I stumbled across BBC Travel's gallery show on Stirling
Castle, and have been saving it for a slow news day in history.

In 16 slides and text, photographer Amanda Ruggeri explores the story of
what is perhaps the most important castle in Scottish history. Stirling
Castle was the English objective in the 1298 Battle Stirling Bridge, fought
just below the castle. The castle fell during Edward I's 1304 siege when
the largest trebuchet ever built destroyed the smashed the gatehouse into
rubble. Stirling Castle was the *cause belli* in another astounding
Scottish victory when Robert the Bruce crushed the English nearby at the
1314 Battle of Bannockburn.

In more peaceful times, Stirling was a favored residence of Scottish
Monarchs. James V remodeled the castle in the 16th century as a Renaissance
palace. His daughter Mary Queen of Scots spent her early years here.

Today Stirling Castle is one of Scotland's most important tourist
destinations.

You can enjoy the story at
http://www.bbc.com/travel/gallery/20170524-stirling-castle-the-last-stronghold-of-scotland
.