[MR] Wikipedia: Death of Queen Elizabeth I and SCA implications

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 02:14:53 PDT 2019

Noble Friends,

On this date in 1603, Queen Elizabeth I of England died. Her closest
relative, King James VI of Scotland, was her successor as King James I of
England. James retained kingship of Scotland under regnal number VI. The
two countries were NOT united as one realm (that happened in 1707) , and
continued to have separate laws, parliaments, budgets, and to some extend
agendas.

You can read about his this came about at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_the_Crowns .

As an aside, James was generally a cautious man who had learned from this
predecessors' mistakes. He tried to stay out of continental wars or wars of
religion, and is generally considered a successful king. He is perhaps the
only Stewart monarch about whom one can make such a claim. As rulers of
either Scotland or England, the Stewarts were not exactly the brightest
bulbs on the royal Christmas tree.

In theory, we in the SCA consider 1600 CE as the end of our period of
interest. However, many Scadians extend their interest to 1603 and
Elizabeth's passing as the end of our period. Her death does give us a
stopping point, one that is just as convenient as the centennial year.
Fortunately, the good fellowship we share in the SCA means this isn't a
point of contention. I hope we keep it that way.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆