[MR] Wikipedia: Pre-Viking Broe Helmet

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 02:36:53 PST 2019

Noble Friends,

One of Wikipedia's "Did You Know . . ." teasers today concerned the Broe
Helmet. This fragmentary headpiece was found in 1904 on a farm in Gotland,
Sweden. The helm has similarities to the similar "Vendel XIV helmet", which
has been dated to the 7th century. The Vendel period dates from 550 to 780,
sitting neatly between the so-called "Migration Period" and the Viking age,
and so fits into our SCA period of interest.

You can read about the Broe Helmet, and also see a photo of the Vendel XIV
helmet (there is no corresponding Wikipedia page for the latter) at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broe_helmet .

More on the Vendel Period, including a photo of a helmet dubbed Vendel I,
can be found at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendel_Period .

More images of Vendel and other helmets from this period can be seen at
https://periklisdeligiannis.wordpress.com/2015/01/31/magnificent-vendel-and-valsgarde-helmets-part-i/
.

Let's throw more light on the Dark Ages!

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆