[MR] St. Ninian's Isle Treasure

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 02:22:54 PDT 2018

Noble Friends, Especially Fellow Scots:

Today the BBC reports a prominent historian has proposed that localities be
allowed to buy back items of treasure held by major British museums. Given
the recent theft of a historic claymore sword from a local Scottish museum,
this seems like a poor idea, but we will see where the idea goes. Actually,
under the British government's treasure laws, localities have a chance to
buy found items, but rarely can raise the money. Two treasures suggested
for repurchase are the already controversial Lewis Chessmen, and the St.
Ninian's Isle Treasure. FWIIW, here is the article:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-44642337 .

I had never heard of the St. Ninian's Isle Treasure (and I will bet most of
you haven't either). This sent me on a Wikipedia search to learn more about
this hoard.

The St. Ninian's Isle Treasure is a cache of mostly silver objects,
including bowls, scabbard chapes, brooches, chains and other cool
high-status stuff dating from around 800 AD. The hoard is mostly Pictish,
though there are some Saxon pieces as well. They were found buried in a
small vault near the altar in the ruined St. Ninian's Church, Sheltland, by
a youngster assisting an archaeological excavation in 1958 (this explains
why most of us have never heard of the treasure). The originals are in the
National Museum of Scotland, while the local Shetland Museum has replicas.
More about the treasure, including photos, can be found at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Ninian%27s_Isle_Treasure .

The better-known Lewis Chessmen were found on the Scottish Island of Lewis
in 1831. A local museum has a few of pieces on long-term loan, with 11
owned by the National Museum of Scotland and the rest owned by the British
Museum. Some Scots are annoyed at this, and want what they consider a
national treasure returned. You can read about the Lewis Chessmen at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_chessmen . The British Museum also
offers a web page at
https://www.britishmuseum.org/about_us/news_and_press/statements/the_lewis_chessmen.aspx
.