[MR] Pennsic 2018 Rapier reminders

Brian Caswell bmc at shmoo.com
Fri Jul 27 07:05:19 PDT 2018

All,

As you make your way to Slippery Rock, I wanted to bring up a few important
topics:

1) If you are called into marshals court for issues relating to rapier, be
it Accused, Accuser, or Witness, you MUST bring me with you.  During rapier
war points, I will be on the field wearing either a pink jerkin or a pink
plume in my helm.   Otherwise, I am camping with Vair & Ermine on Battle
Road.

2) Those fighting in the rapier war points will need to pay specific
attention to changes this year.  I've highlighted the changes that will
likely trip up combatants familiar with rapier combat in Atlantia:

   - You must have your rapier equipment & armor inspected EVERY DAY you
   wish to participate in rapier combat.
   - You may *not* use your weapon in any way while running.
   - You must make a “reasonable attempt” to get opponent’s attention
   before throwing a blow.
   - Calibration is “lightest touch felt”. If you feel the tip on body, you
   take it.  Remember taking tip cuts is required.
   - The front 180 is defined by your opponent's shoulders.

For a more complete list of changes from Atlantia's standard rules, I've
put together a rules redux available here:
https://demoray.github.io/2018/05/07/pennsic-redux.html

3) Today (07/27/2018) marks when the new C&T hand protection changes go
into effect.  A guide describing the required changes and inspection
procedures is available here:
https://marshal.atlantia.sca.org/rapier/rules-update-2018/

Thanks,
Master Brian de Moray, Kingdom Rapier Marshal