[MR] Wikipedia: Death of The Earl of Tyrone

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 02:00:22 PDT 2018

Noble Friends,

On this date in 1616, Hugh O'Neill, the Irish Earl of Tyrone, died in exile
at Rome. Yes, this is out of our period, but during the last decade of our
period of interest Tyrone was a leader of Irish resistance against the
English. He was co-commander with Hugh Roe O'Donnel during the Nine Years
War.

For most of his life, Tyrone played the English like a violin, cozying up
to them while at the same time plotting for their expulsion from Ireland.
After the Irish humiliated the English at the Battle of Yellow Ford in
1598, the Earl of Essex was sent with a new army to crush the Irish. Tyrone
harassed this badly led, undersupplied and demoralized army. Essex was
forced to offer the Irish a very favorable truce and returned to England
without Queen Elizabeth's permission. Essex then led a revolt against the
Queen, and was executed for treason.

The new King James I ran out of patience with Tyrone, and planned his
arrest in 1607. Tipped off, Tyrone and several other Irish earls, along
with their families, decamped Ireland in what is known as the "Flight of
the Earls". They hoped to travel to Spain to seek help for another
rebellion, but were refused permission by the Spanish, who had made peace
with James I. Tyrone spent the rest of his life in exile in Rome plotting a
return that never came.

You can read more about Hugh O'Neill at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_O%27Neill,_Earl_of_Tyrone

Although it was a bit part, Tyrone was played by Alan Hale in the Bette
Davis/Errol Flynn film ELIZABETH AND ESSEX. Hale usually played Flynn's
side-kicks with a lot more screen time (think Little John in THE ADVENTURES
OF ROBIN HOOD).

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆