[MR] Wikipedia: Death of Edward I

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 02:12:43 PDT 2018

Noble Friends, Especially Fellow Scots:

On this date in 1307, the English King Edward I died while on the way to
Scotland to further his war against Robert the Bruce. He died of dysentery
at Burgh-on-Sands, just south of the Scottish border.

Edward was one of the more successful English kings, conquering and
annexing Wales, and recovering Aquitaine after it was seized by the French,
but had less success subduing the Scots. He he also reformed English laws
and the royal administration. He was often brutal to his enemies, as shown
by the way he dealt with William Wallace and members of the Bruce family,
including the ladies, who fell into his hands. On the other hand, he was
often forgiving of lesser people who troubled him, giving the Scots lord
several chances to become his loyal vassals, or dismissing without penalty
most of the Scottish garrison's surviving commoners at Stirling after the
siege of 1304 (he held the 26 propertied men for ransom instead of killing
them, including my ancestor John le Nae Peer).

Just king, or ruthless conquer monkey? That all depends on which side you
favor. Despite being a Scot, I can see both sides of Edward.

More about Edward I is at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_I_of_England
.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆