[MR] Great Books for Scadians from E.R. Hamilton

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 13:50:21 PDT 2018

Noble Friends,

I just received the 6 July E.R. Hamilton catalog of History Bargain Books,
as they tout it. There is great stuff here in the English, European and
Medieval sections. Of particular interest to us are a number of titles from
the really excellent Museum of London's *Medieval Finds from Excavations in
London* series published by Boydell. These are accessible, but scholarly
works that are very hard to find in the U.S. and usually sell for a great
deal more than Hamilton's price. Below are listed these titles, as well as
some others that look really interesting:

6844472 PILGRIM SOUVENIRS AND SECULAR BADGES: MEDIEVAL FINDS FROM
EXCAVATIONS IN LONDON--$29.95 [I have this one and it is excellent; the
standard work on British pilgrim badges.]

684457X SHOES AND PATTENS: MEDIEVAL FINDS FROM EXCAVATIONS IN LONDON--$19.95

6844464 THE MEDIEVAL HOUSEHOLD: MEDIEVAL FINDS FROM EXCAVATIONS IN
LONDON--$29.95 [I own a copy of this book too. Excellent drawings and
photos.]

6844391 KNIVES AND SCABBARDS: MEDIEVAL FINDS FROM EXCAVATIONS IN
LONDON--$19.95

6844456 THE MEDIEVAL HORSE AND ITS EQUIPMENT: MEDIEVAL FINDS FROM
EXCAVATIONS IN LONDON--$19.95

6844278 DRESS ACCESSORIES 1150-1450: MEDIEVAL FINDS FROM EXCAVATIONS IN
LONDON--$19.95

6844634 TEXTILES AND CLOTHING 1150-1450: MEDIEVAL FINDS FROM EXCAVATIONS IN
LONDON--$19.95

6844618 SWORDS OF THE VIKING AGE--$27.95

6858228 RECORDS OF THE MEDIEVAL SWORD by Ewart Oakeshott--$29.95 [Oakeshott
is one of the leading experts in sword types, and this book has 300
illustrations.]

6844138 THE ART OF COOKERY IN THE MIDDLE AGES--$19.95 [This isn't
illustrated, but has all sorts of information about cookery and dining,
including recipes.]

6844480 MEDIEVAL PETS--$27.95

O.K. If this whets your appetite, you can go to Hamilton's web site at
https://www.hamiltonbook.com . Enter any of these titles in the search box,
limit by "history", and you can see the cover and read a brief blurb about
the work. (At least it worked with the three of them I checked--sometimes
new books don't show online for a while, and the search engine can be
pretty clunky.)

You can order from Hamilton online using a credit card. Shipping is $4.00
per item. *If you print out the order form with your choices and send it in
by snail mail with a check, the shipping is only a flat $4.00 for the whole
order, no matter how many books you buy! *If a title is out of stock, they
send a refund check within two weeks.

Hamilton sends me 3-4 paper catalogs a month, one of general new books and
DVDs, and others limited to history, military history, cookery, crafts and
art, or DVDs. Each catalog contains a paper order form.

I suggest you search Hamilton's site for more medieval history books. They
always have a rich selection, including a lot of titles that are not easily
found in the U.S. All prices are marked down substantially from list.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆