[MR] History Blog: 14th C Bulgarin Hoard

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 02:46:57 PDT 2018

Noble Friends,

Since I normally search the BBC and Wikipedia for items to comment upon, I
rarely find things outside of the British area. I've been doing this now
for so many years, the calendar is getting a bit stale. How many times do
you want me to comment on William Wallace's messy state-sponsored demise?
Recently I began checking the History Blog, and today I found an
interesting piece to share.

The story concerns a coin and jewelry hoard discovered earlier this month
in the Kalaikra Fortress in northern Bulgaria. The hoard was buried in a
pot under the floor of a building that had been burned at a known date in
the late 14th century. The treasure contains many datable coins, some
locally minted, others Ottoman, as a few Byzantine.

You can read the History Blog story and see the pot at
http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/52494 .
Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆