[MR] Wikipedia: Lucrezia Borgia

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 03:01:39 PDT 2018

Noble Friends,

April 18th is notable for many historical events, most beyond our period of
interest (Paul Revere's ride in 1775 and the San Francisco earthquake of
1906, to name just two). It is also the birthdate of Lucrezia Borgia.

Lucrezia, born in 1480, was the daughter of Pope Alexander VI (he wasn't
Pope yet, though he was a Cardinal). Lucrezia was used throughout her life
as a political pawn by her father and her brother Cesare Borgia. It was the
lot in life of most high-born daughters at the time to be offered in
marriage for political alliances. In poor Lucrezia's case this was carried
to extremes, and when her second husband became politically inconvenient,
he was knocked off (probably on Cesare's orders) and the girl was shopped
to another noble.

There is no evidence Lucrezia ever poisoned anybody. Those were probably
"alternative facts" spread by her family's enemies (and the Borgias made a
LOT of enemies). Her many lovers were for real, as some of her surviving
letters attest. That said, some historians claim she was a loving mother to
her children, and led a pious life, setting aside her affairs.

Lucrezia died on 24 June 1519 after the difficult delivery of her 10th
child.

A biographical sketch can be found at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucrezia_Borgia

So this morning I raise my morning coffee cup in toast to Lucrezia Borgia,
a women who certainly deserved a better life, and probably a better
reputation from historians.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆