[MR] Wikipedia: Globe Theatre Burns

Garth Groff via Atlantia atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Thu Jun 29 02:19:15 PDT 2017

Noble Friends,

On this date in 1613, the famous Globe Theatre in Southwark (across the
Thames from London) burned to the ground. The fire started when a cannon
misfired and ignited the roof during a performance of Shakespeare's
HENRY VIII. Admittedly, the fire is out of our period of interest, but
we in the SCA tend to be a bit mushy about the Bard and his activities.
In any case, the theatre was built in 1599, so it does fall within our
time frame.

You can read about the Globe's history at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globe_Theatre#Shakespeare.27s_Globe_Theatres
. Another summary of the history is at
http://www.william-shakespeare.info/william-shakespeare-globe-theatre.htm
. Finally, here is a page with some photos of the current
reconstruction: http://users.wfu.edu/tedforrl/shakespeare/globe.htm .

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, Who Once Trod the Boards as Robin Starvling