[MR] Benches for Atlantian Royal @ Pennsic

Talorgen Hersir via Atlantia atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Wed Jun 28 17:09:24 PDT 2017

Greetings Atlantia! Pennsic is soon upon us. Haven't we all just loved
hauling seating down to Atlantian Royal for court, bardic, parties and
other things? I have a proposal to try to solve it.

I would like to challenge groups, households, or people from around the
Kingdom to make a breakdown bench to donate to the Atlantian encampment. We
can only provide storage for benches which do break down and whose wooden
surfaces are finished. Paint or stain/lacquer are fine, but unfinished or
raw wood is unlikely to last so we can't take it at this time.

Master Terafan has graciously allowed me to post this link to his bench
plan: http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/benches.html. It has several
advantages over some other breakdown plans that I am aware of: 1) Because
of the splayed feet, it is very stable. It's even possible to get up off of
one end of the bench without dumping the occupant of the other end onto the
ground! 2) Because of the bracing, it is possible to pick this one up by
the top without it falling apart. 3) It breaks down completely flat, and
can therefore be stored very efficiently. 4). It is cost efficient, at
about $13 when made with 2x10 and 2x4.

It took me approximately an hour and a half to build the first bench that I
tried from these plans, using only a jigsaw and a drill. It will require
sanding and painting as well.

I am, of course, perfectly willing to accept other styles of bench so long
as they are finished and break down. If you are willing and able to provide
a bench this year, please contact me either here or at tal at roanwoulfe.com
so that I will have an idea how much storage is needed.

-Tal