[MR] Wikipedia: Father Gerard's Tower Escape

Garth Groff via Atlantia atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Tue Jan 24 02:35:33 PST 2017

Noble Friends,

It is a slow news day at the BBC, and there are no significant events to
commemorate on Wikipedia. Today I will write about the Jesuit priest
John Gerard (1564-1637).

Father Gerard was one of a number of English Jesuit priests educated and
ordained in Europe, then sent to back England to minister to "recusant"
Catholics during the reign of Elizabeth I. Most faithful English
Catholics had gone underground, figuratively and literally, and the
Jesuits moved among this network of closet believers to say the Mass and
offer other sacraments. This made the secret Jesuit priests guilty of
treason. In addition, some Jesuits and their followers actually plotted
to overthrow or assassinate Queen Elizabeth and restore England to the
Catholic faith. Thus the priests were hunted down, tortured, and some
were executed.

Gerard was captured in London in 1594 in the company of Nicholas Owen,
an infamous builder of priest holes, secret rooms and passages in
Catholic houses where priests could hide or escape their enemies. Gerard
was eventually imprisoned in the Salt Tower, part of the Tower of
London, where we was tortured horribly in the hope he would name other
Catholics. Gerard's wrists were mangled when he was suspended in chains.
Father Gerard never broke, even when confronted with the rack.

Despite his injuries, Father Gerard and another prisoner named John
Arden slid down a rope stretched from the Salt Tower across the moat by
Catholic agents on 4 October 1597. They then were taken by boat to a
safe house. Father Gerard was eventually smuggled out of England in the
Spanish ambassador's retinue. The priest spent the rest of his life in
Europe teaching and writing, and died of natural causes in Rome at the
age of 73.

You can read about Father Gerard at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gerard_(Jesuit) .

Here is more about Nicholas Owen and his priest holes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Owen_(Jesuit) and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priest_hole .

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge