[MR] BBC: Robert Hardy Obituary

Garth Groff via Atlantia atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Thu Aug 3 17:08:57 PDT 2017

Noble Friends, Especially Fellow Archers:

Today the BBC is reporting the death of veteran British actor Sir Robert
Hardy. Most of you will remember Hardy as Cornelius Fudge, the Minister
of Magic in several Harry Potter films. Those of us who study the
history of archery will also remember him as an expert on the English
longbow, both has a keen historian and as an accomplished archer. He was
heavily involved in the conservation of the bows recovered from the Mary
Rose shipwreck, and lovingly tended the precious relics as a long
freshwater bath forced 500 years of salt from the wood. Besides being a
trustee of the Mary Rose Trust, he served for eleven years as a trustee
of the Royal Armouries at HM Tower of London. Robert Hardy wrote two
historical works on archery: LONGBOW, A SOCIAL AND MILITARY HISTORY, and
with Matthew Strickland, THE GREAT WARBOW, FROM HASTINGS TO THE MARY ROSE.

The BBC story can be found at
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40818839

Tomorrow morning I will think of Sir Robert as I practice with my own
longbow.

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, The Archer of Mallard Lodge